Gummy Candy Hardness
A soft candy sugar confectionery producer wanted to measure the hardness of gummy sweets during stoving process as a predictor of elasticity and minimise time in the stoving oven.
The stoving process is the bottle-neck to the production of gelatin-based gummy confectionery. The customer had been reliant on sensory testing to predict when sweets were at correct texture, resulting in high degree of variation between batches. The hardness property was seen as the relevant quality attribute, not the mechanical parameter of gumminess.
Compression test using a large ball probe replicated squeezing of gummy sweet between thumb and forefinger.
- Identified key textural properties of gummy sweets through sensory evaluation
- Correlated findings with instrumental measurements
- Used hardness parameter to establish upper and lower tolerances for production
Significance and Benefits
- Removed bottle-neck in production process by optimising time gummy sweets spend in stoving oven
- Maintaining consistent product quality